Wednesday 20 February 2013

Braised Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes, Red Peppers, Onion, Scallions and Mushrooms

My Mom and I are still going strong with The Whole30 challenge we started on February 1st. I may have mentioned that I cook for my Mom once a week. I do all her meal planning for the week and provide a shopping list. Then I go to her house and cook it all so she can divide it into personal size portions to eat throughout the week, or to freeze for later.

Last weekend I found a recipe for a Paleo Chicken Casserole and completely reconstructed it. It was so much fun and the end result was beautiful! Cooking is something I take seriously but it is also fun and energizing. It gives me an opportunity to utilize my creativity and to come up with new ideas on a regular basis. I love cooking for other people more than anything! When people eat something I've made and they say, "Oh my goodness, that is so good!", it is one of the best compliment I could ever receive.

 Braised Chicken with Cherry Tomatoes, Red Peppers, Onion, Scallions and Mushrooms

Yields: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:

1 roasting chicken, innards removed (freeze them for chicken stock!!!)
1 small box cherry tomatoes, halved
1 large red bell pepper, diced
1 small yellow onion, diced
1 small bunch scallions, diced
1 package dried mushrooms - we used a mixture

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Using a large kitchen knife, divide the chicken into portions. Separate the legs, thighs and breasts. Leave the bones and skin intact. Meanwhile, place dried mushrooms in a bowl with water. Let stand at least 15 minutes to soften. Remove mushrooms from bowl once they are soft, dice mushrooms and reserve the liquid.

Season chicken pieces with your favorite seasoning. Place in a large baking dish and bake for 20 minutes. You do not want to cook the chicken all the way through. Transfer partially cooked chicken to a large casserole dish with a lid. Top chicken with cherry tomatoes.

In a medium skillet heat olive oil over medium-high heat. Add peppers, onion, scallions and mushrooms to the pan. Saute until onions are soft and golden brown and peppers begin to spot. Pour saute mixutre over the chicken and tomatoes. Bake in preheated oven for 50-70 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through (internal temperature must be 165).

Serve with a nice green salad and mashed sweet potatoes or roasted squash.



Enjoy and Buon Appetito!

No comments:

Post a Comment