Thursday 30 April 2015

Classic Pulled Pork

Few things remind me of Summer quite like BBQ. I was walking down my street the other day and could smell my neighbors BBQ-ing in their back yards. I was practically drooling by the time I got home, so I just had to make my Classic Pulled Pork so I could give in to my cravings.

I've posted a recipe for Pulled Pork before, but this recipe has since become by go-to. It's just as simple in its execution, but it is far tastier than my previous version. Try both and see which one you prefer! What I love about this version is that it is lighter, less sweet, and has more flavor. It's smoky with a hint of heat from the seasoning, with a little bit of sweetness from the BBQ sauce I used to dress it. I paired my lettuce wraps with a simple, dead easy coleslaw, as a perfect & classic accompaniment.

My favorite part of this recipe is how effortless it is. The only effort you will have to put in is the patience you'll need while it cooks in your slow cooker. Screw fork tender, this recipe falls apart with a spoon! Try it and see for yourself that it is truly easy, and also delicious.

Classic Pulled Pork


Yields: 4-6 servings

Ingredients:


Pulled Pork: 

4lb Pork shoulder roast
1/3 C liquid smoke (I used Hickory, you can find liquid smoke at any grocery store, usually down the condiment aisle)
Spicy pepper medley seasoning (you can use any ol' steak seasoning or Montreal Smoked Spice would be a great one to try)
Cayenne pepper *optional*

Butter lettuce

Pulled pork fixin's: BBQ sauce (I used Organic Dad's Best BBQ sauce from the health food aisle at Safeway, it was delicious!), ketchup, mustard, hot sauce, sliced onion, etc. Get creative and try something new!

Quick Coleslaw:
1 bag coleslaw mix (shredded: red cabbage, green cabbage, carrots)
1/4 C mayonnaise
1/2 lemon, squeezed
1/4 t yellow mustard
1/2 t black pepper
1/2 t salt
1/2 t garlic powder
2 t agave syrup (or honey)

Directions:

Rinse pork shoulder and pat dry with paper towel. Place the roast in your slow cooker, pour liquid smoke over top. Season with pepper medley/spice mix and cayenne. Cook on HIGH for four hours, then cook on LOW for 8+ hours. Shred pork with forks and cook on HIGH again for an hour or so to reincorporate the liquid.


While your pulled pork is simmering, in a small mixing bowl: add mayo, lemon juice, mustard, black pepper, salt, garlic powder, and agave/honey. Whisk well until ingredients are incorporated and dressing is smooth. Toss together with coleslaw veggies.

Assemble your lettuce wraps however which way you like them. Keep in mind, these will be extremely messy, so make sure you stock up on napkins!

*Tips*

Feel free to use a different kind of lettuce for these wraps. I like Butter Lettuce because of the width and mild flavor of the leaves. Romaine would be sturdier, however, I usually just eat this right out of a bowl with my condiments and coleslaw on top.

Enjoy and Buon Appetito!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting and waking up my craving for pulled pork!

    ReplyDelete