Tuesday 22 January 2013

(Vegetarian) Black Bean Chili

I have never been shy about my love for meat. However, sometimes it is nice (and necessary) to incorporate vegetarian options into your meal plan. There is one particular vegetarian recipe my mom used to make when I was younger - Black Bean Chili! I used to be much more picky about food when I was young, so I didn't actually like this recipe until I got a bit older. Now I love it! Full of protein from black beans and full of flavor from the seasoning. Try this recipe next time you want to warm up with some chili!

(Vegetarian) Black Bean Chili

Yields: 10 servings

Ingredients:

2 14oz cans black beans (or use dry beans soaked overnight)
1 28oz can diced tomato
2 red peppers, diced
1/2 onion, diced
1 head garlic, minced

1/4 C chili powder
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder*
2 t cumin
1 T oregano

Directions:

Saute onion, garlic and peppers over medium-high heat in large stock pot. Mix chili powder, cocoa powder, cumin and oregano in a small bowl. Add seasoning to skillet. Saute to allow flavors to incorporate.

Add beans and tomato to pot, stir well and bring to a low boil. Simmer over medium-low heat until heated through, or up to 2 hours. The longer you simmer this chili, the better the flavor will be!

Serve hot with a small dollop of low-fat sour cream and some shredded cheddar cheese.

*Adding cocoa powder to stews and chilis will enhance the richness, flavor and color to the dish
*Try adding diced or shredded carrot to your chili for some extra veggies. Also, try 1 can kidney beans instead of black beans
*This is a good recipe to make in large batches since it freezes exceptionally well. Freeze in airtight containers for 3-6 months


Enjoy and Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment